Monday, 19 June 2017

12 Beauty Struggles Pale Girls Can Relate To

beauty stock

As a lifelong, card-carrying member of the Pale Girls Club, I've had my fair share of beauty struggles (pardon the pun). It would seem that most beauty brands & their distributors believe that all women must fit within the light to medium spectrum, when in actual fact us ladies are anywhere from Snow White to Princess Tiana & beyond, each of us with different undertones to the next woman. (Don't get me started on that!) Navigating these waters can be precarious I tell you!


So it's in this spirit that I present to you 12 beauty struggles I reckon all us pale ladies can relate to:

  1. Finding a foundation that is (a) light enough for you, (b) the right undertone & (c) won't oxidise on you after several hours. For some reason makeup companies like to put out shades that are "porcelain" or "ivory", tricking you into thinking they'll be suitable for you when they're anything but. I speak from experience on that one.
  2. Nude shades of lipstick & nail polish can make us look like a cadaver.
  3. We can't look at the sun without getting burnt. (That's a joke btw....but it's also true.)
  4. That whole "wear a concealer that's 2 shades lighter than your skin tone" rule? Forget it. We're hard pressed finding one that actually matches our skin tone, let alone one that is 2 shades lighter!
  5. Too much blush and you look like a clown. Too little and you look washed out. (I always err on the too little side, just quietly.)
  6. Most mainstream tinted moisturiser/BB/CC creams start at "light"....and even then most of them aren't light enough for even the light-skinned girls. I wear Bare Minerals' Complexion Rescue in Opal 01 (the lightest shade in the range) which, thankfully, I can get away with. I'll be reviewing that product soon on TNL.
  7. Tanning is frought with terrifying thoughts of "am I going to look like an oompa loompa"?
  8. If you like me & eschew the fake tan, then there's a very real chance that (a) you will blind people's retinas whilst at the beach and (b) you'll hear at least 1 dickhead tell you to "get a tan" somewhere throughout your life.
  9. If your skin flushes or you get sunburnt, then you're a walking talking tomato that people like to stare at. Again, I speak from experience.
  10. Have blotchiness, acne or rosacea? Sadly, these things are all too obvious in appearance on lily white skin.
  11. Want to use bronzer or contour? You have to swim through an orange & honey tide just to find one that's a perfect shade of taupe. Even then you may have to resort to using eyeshadow as a bronzer/contour.
  12. You can forget about sporting a traditional smokey eye, unless you wish to resemble a Goth. (Which, btw, there is absolutely nothing wrong with looking like one!) Same goes for any other kind of dark makeup....or even bright makeup for that matter. (I personally đź’™ a bright lip on me, but I know not everyone does.)

I've added this to the Monday Makeup Madness link-up, as per usual.

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

Are you fair-skinned like me? Can you relate to any of these struggles?









16 comments:

  1. Finding foundations that match is literally my nightmare! I hate that it's so hard!!! I love winter though because I wear alot of turtle necks so it doesn't matter too much if the colour is off hahahahaha

    Sarah | More Than Adored



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my biggest nightmare too! God only knows how many orange-y foundations I've worn to date. Why can't companies properly cater for us fair girls? So annoying.

      Delete
  2. I'm light to medium skintone, don't hate me. Lol! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't hate you at all! Just the companies & distributors who don't cater properly for all skin tones.

      Delete
  3. OMG!! I laughed at every one of these. Fellow pale Girl here!!! All of you points are soooo true and right on the money :) Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, glad I made you laugh. :o)

      Delete
  4. Haha! What's wrong with Goth? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely nothing! I just think dark makeup does slow up quite strongly on our skin tone, that's all. I hope I haven't offended you or anyone else by saying that!

      Delete
  5. hehe so relatable!
    With no 4: I joke that even white out isn't light enough ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we ALL struggle finding that perfect foundation shade, but it's even harder if they don't actually make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I guess I never really thought about it that way, but you're right, it's harder if they don't make it.

      Delete
  7. You have my sympathies Shell - I'm actually paler than pale so I can relate to all of the above, however I have freckles which make me look like I have medium toned skin. The torture used to be...do I buy makeup to match my skin, or my freckles? Thankfully I can get away with something in between, especially with this colour matching technology they have these days. I'm a light/medium, but I struggle to find bronzers and contour creams that aren't too pink or too grey xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree in that technology has come a long long way in recent years, especially now with lightening or darkening drops for foundation & the like. You're lucky you can get away with stuff that's in between.

      Delete
  8. Yep number 2 is pretty much my life, plus whenever I go to buy foundation I always have to say "Um, can I please have the palest shade please...?"

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #2 is my life too. I wish I could wear nude shades, but even if I could I think I'd find them a bit boring. Ditto to "can I have the palest shade please"!

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)