Friday, 20 January 2017

Swatch & Review: Bare Minerals - The Bare Neutrals + The Sexy Neutrals Palettes

Bare Minerals, makeup, eyeshadow, eyeshadow palettes

I haven't reviewed makeup on this ol' bloggy blog before, but I know someone (at least) was curious about the Bare Minerals palettes I hauled whilst overseas last year; so today I'm gonna swatch & review both the Bare Neutrals & Sexy Neutrals palettes for you all. There's 2 others in this "Neutrals" palette range (Power Neutrals & Posh Neutrals), but neither of them tickled my fancy.

EDIT 2/8/17: I've just discovered these palettes are now available at Mecca stores & online! They're retailing for $58AUD each, if you're interested in picking one up.


Let me break it down for ya's *insert DJ scratch*:

Both palettes come in a cardboard box with a flip-open attachment. On the inside of the box is the "Ready." catch-cry of Bare Minerals, plus a handy little shadow placement guide/tutorial for anyone out there who's makeup challenged like me & might not have a clue where to put which shadows on the eyelids. You probably don't need to keep the boxes; I've only kept mine to protect the finish on the palettes...and for the tutorials.

Bare Minerals, makeup, eyeshadow, eyeshadow palettes

Once out of the box, both palettes have a metallic, chromatic, mirrored finish to them with a clasp opener - the Bare Neutrals with silver packaging & the Sexy Neutrals with copper packaging. This mirrored finish makes it ultra difficult for the user to photograph the palette without getting themselves or their camera in the shot....or at least that's what I found. I had to try several different angles just to get a good shot without me in my PJ's, holding my phone, shooting with its camera! As I mentioned in my first Trip Haul post, these palettes also attract fingerprints easily; so if you're someone who likes to keep things pristine, bear that in mind & prepare to do a whole lot of wiping.

Bare Minerals, makeup, eyeshadow, eyeshadow palettes

Both palettes also have the shades & their names featured on the back for future reference, which you would've seen above...but here's a close up!

Bare Minerals, makeup, eyeshadow, packaging, eyeshadow palettes

Both palettes contain a mirror, 8 shadow pans & a double-ended brush, which IMO really wasn't worth including. Anyone with half an interest in makeup would be better off buying themselves a decent eyeshadow starter brush set instead of using this crappy brush. I noticed with one of my palettes that there's a random longer hair sticking out from the ferrule, which I think says something about the quality of craftsmanship! As you'll be able to see below, I have already used these palettes a fair few times, so they're not pristine + some of the pans are mottled from the times where I've dipped a wet brush into them...oops...

Bare Minerals, makeup, eyeshadow, eyeshadow palettes
Bare Neutrals palette

Bare Minerals, makeup, eyeshadow, eyeshadow palettes
Sexy Neutrals palette
Now for the swatches, which have all been done without primer. It took me at least 3-4 swipes to get these to show up (if at all), although from memory it was easier swatching the Bare Neutrals as opposed to the Sexy Neutrals:

Bare Minerals, makeup, eyeshadow, swatch
Bare Neutrals swatches - I swatched this palette backwards, my bad.
I bought the Bare Neutrals before the Sexy Neutrals & I'm glad I did. Although most of (if not all of) the shades are shimmers or satins, I've found that they at least show up on my eyes after applying primer and, as mentioned, are easier to use in general. Sure, they do kick up a bit when I press the pan too hard (bad habit), but the other palette does this too. I'd say most shadows are like that though, so I wouldn't worry too much. These shadows are mostly warm shades, although the first 2 on my arm (which are the last 2 in the palette) are cooler in tone methinks. Despite having cool toned skin, I'm a big fan of wearing warm shades on my eyes as they make my baby blues stand out big time. My favourite shades from this palette are the first 4 you see on my arm - Wanderlust, Fate, Namaste & Cognac - although A-Ha is nice too. *resists urge to bust out a little Take On Me*

As for the Sexy Neutrals...I'm bummed that I spent $41US on this because it's pretty rubbish, sadly.

Bare Minerals, makeup, eyeshadow, swatch
Sexy Neutrals swatches - Perspective is the darkest shade btw, just so there's no confusion.
Unlike the Bare Neutrals, the Sexy Neutrals palette contains a mix of satins & mattes. The mattes (Pure, Natural & Celebrate) in particular are the worst as (a) they're chalky & (b) don't show up on my pale AF skin. (The configuration of this palette is a bit wrong IMO - what the hell were Bare Minerals thinking sticking a dark shade in between 2 light mattes? Don't they realise that it could end up spilling over into the other pans?) Even the lightest shimmer of the bunch (Nude Beach) barely shows up on my skin, which again, is disappointing. The other 3 shimmers (Hot Commodity, Bare Skin & In The Buff) are ok, but the payoff is a bit iffy and as for Perspective (the aforementioned black/deep, dark chocolate), I know I'll never use it (it's quite powdery FYI) & its inclusion in this palette sticks out like a sore thumb in amongst all the warmer tones. The only good thing about this palette is the pretty copper packaging!

All in all, if I had to choose a favourite palette out of the 2, then the Bare Neutrals would win hands down. If only I lived in America, then I could have returned the Sexy Neutrals to Sephora & hopefully got my money back!

Linked up with the Monday Makeup Madness mob.

*All products featured for review on The Novice Life are purchased by me, unless otherwise stated. Please refer to my disclosure policy for more details. 


Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!
 

How many products have you been enticed into buying purely because of pretty packaging?

18 comments:

  1. What a shame about the sexy neutrals palette! After paying that price you'd expect something decent, which Bare Minerals generally are. How disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm completely bummed about it. I'd been in 2 minds about getting it beforehand tbh & now I wish I hadn't! I'll still use it because I don't want to waste it, but all those pale mattes do nothing for me.

      Delete
  2. These are such wearable shades. And even that deep chocolatey shade. I would totally use "Celebrate" all over the lid and layer a shimmer shade on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are wearable. I hate to tell you though - Celebrate is a pale cream matte, the one you're looking at is Perspective (I called it black, but you're right, it's a dark chocolate methinks). I think because Celebrate doesn't show up on my skin, that might be why there could be some confusion. ;o)

      Delete
  3. Oh the disappointment! That is a lot to spend on a rubbish palette. Boo for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...oh well, at least I can stare at the pretty packaging. Thank Christ the Bare Neutrals works!

      Delete
  4. Great swatches and photos! Pity the Sexy Neutrals palette sucked so hard. Glad you're getting use out of the other one at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di! I tried shooting in bright sunlight but the reflective nature of the packaging just didn't gel, so I had to shoot when it was overcast. It was a pain to get right, but I'm glad I got it done in the end. I'll still use the Sexy Neutrals to the best of my ability, but the Bare Neutrals will probably take priority.

      Delete
  5. So interesting! I bought a Bare Minerals palette recently, during the Christmas releases, and I have to say that despite the beautiful packaging, the pigment was awful. They work well for subtle looks, but I can't say it's at all my favourite palette :/ so disappointing!

    Laura || www.thelifeoflaura.com.au xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a shame your Bare Minerals palette sucked too Laura! I wonder if any of their other palettes are better because I have heard some fairly decent things about them.

      Delete
  6. Oooo the Bare Neutrals palette looks amazing! I haven't tried this range before but I will definitely have to swatch them in store and try them out :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately Marisa these palettes aren't available in Australia...at least as far as I'm aware they're not. Not sure if they ever have been, but I know they've been around for ages. I could've sworn I'd seen them in Mecca once, but that was years ago.

      Delete
  7. the color selection looks really beautiful ! too bad that these do not meet the high expectations :(

    clairetalksbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colours are great, I'll agree with you there.

      Delete
  8. The Bare Neutrals palette looks really great. I only have one palette from BareMinerals and the quality is amazing. It's a shame that the other one you have doesn't perform as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's disappointing, but you live & learn I guess! At least the Bare Neutrals is great.

      Delete
  9. Oh crikey, they should be ashamed of the Sexy one - dear Shell fancy forking out all that dough to be so disappointed. Wicked! Still the Bare one looks pretty good, and they're my kind of colours xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I've wondered whether my pale skin tone has had anything to do with the pale mattes not showing up, but that's no excuse really. Regardless, I'm glad I bought the Bare Neutrals otherwise I would've been REALLY annoyed!

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)